HEALTH BENEFITS OF BREAD FRUIT
Breadfruit is the produce of a huge tropical rain-forest fruiting tree in the mulberry family. It is closely related to the other tropical fruits such as jack fruit, breadnut, figs, and mulberries .
Breadfruit is a very large evergreen tree found commonly in the tropical rain forests of Indonesia, Philippines, Sri Lanka and southern India
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BREAD FRUIT :
1. Breadfruit is an excellent natural source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which naturally condition the hair, reducing hair breakage. The fatty acids present in breadfruit regulate the sebum production in the scalp, reducing dandruff and itchiness. They also inhibit scalp inflammation and cell death, thus aiding in the prevention of hair loss.
2. Its pulp (the parts that we eat) has impressive reserves of dietary fibre, which makes it a good bulk laxative. Dietary fibre helps reduce blood cholesterol by preventing its absorption in the gut, reduces obesity, blood pressure and help protect the colon mucous membrane by warding off cancer-causing chemicals from the colon.
3. In North America, breadfruit is being appreciated as an ideal food for those on a weight loss programme, since it is low in calories and high on nutrition. Being an energy-rich, high starch food, it provides satiety without drastically increasing calorie consumption.
4. Drinking breadfruit juice gives one’s skin a glowing and youthful appearance. The fruit, which has substantial amounts of Vitamin C content, promotes collagen production that provides elasticity to skin. Breadfruit also inhibits the activity of pro-inflammatory enzymes and prevents overproduction of nitric oxides, thus preventing skin inflammation.
5. Breadfruit is an excellent source of potassium. This ‘heart-friendly’ nutrient reduces blood pressure in the body and regulates the heart rate by minimizing the effects of sodium in the system.
6. Breadfruit contains good amounts of antioxidants, which help the body to develop resistance against infectious agents. It also scavenges harmful free radicals from the body that lead to aging and other age-related diseases.
7. A super-food high in carbohydrates, studies have proven that one cup of breadfruit provides 60 grams of carbohydrates, the primary source of energy in the body. The regular consumption of breadfruit can be very beneficial for athletes and gym-goers.
8. Worried about all that sugar? Well, the fibre in breadfruit inhibits the absorption of glucose from the food we eat, thus controlling diabetes. It contains compounds, which are needed by the pancreas for producing insulin in the body.
9. The dietary fibre found in breadfruit prevents digestion-related diseases like heartburn, acidity, ulcer and gastritis, by eliminating toxic compounds from the gut. Breadfruit protects the colon’s mucous membrane by warding off cancer-causing chemicals from the colon. With these amazing health benefits in mind, it is no wonder scientists have hailed the breadfruit as a “wonder food”.